I made this last week when #2 was recovering from the stomach flu. I usually just make some miso soup but her nausea was dragging on, and #3 was also home with a cold and fever. It tastes really good but does not have anything that might upset a tummy – no fat added, no garlic, low sodium if possible. I also add ginger to help with the nausea but not enough to be overpowering.
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 leek, white parts only, carefully rinsed and chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 T* minced ginger
- 1/2 t* dried oregano
- 1/2 t dried basil
- 4 cups Vegetable broth, preferably low sodium
- 2 cups water
- Bay leaf
- 1 can of garbanzo beans
- Conchiglie (small shells) or any small pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, saute the celery, leeks and carrots for 6-8 minutes or until soft, adding water to prevent sticking.
- Add the minced ginger and spices and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, water and bay leaf, and bring to a slow boil.
- Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook 1 cup of the pasta according to package directions.
- Add the cooked pasta and garbanzo beans to the soup, adding additional water if you like it with more broth. Continue cooking until heated throughout and serve.
*I always use capital T for Tablespoon and lowercase t for teaspoon.